December 17, 2017. Philippians 1-4.
“The proof that we have the vision is that we are reaching out for more that we have grasped. Our reach must exceed our grasp. If we have only what we have experienced, we have nothing; if we have the inspiration of the vision of God, we have more than we can experience. Beware of the danger of relaxation spiritually.”-Oswald Chambers-
Paul begins our reading today with a heart that is full of thankfulness and Joy! He is sharing with the Philippians as anyone would to a friend of what they have access to through Christ Jesus. A reminder of what is within our grasp!
(Philippians 1:3) I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy.
It is a true gift filled with joy, when we have those friends in our lives that come along side us speaking love, truth, and encouragement and have us in their heart!
What is within our grasp?
- Paul shares that we can be filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by and for Jesus for His glory!
- Our testimony and our story and the things that happen in our lives can actually turn out to further the gospel. (Philippians1:12) But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel.
- We are able to stand steadfast in one spirit, like minded together for the gospel, not being terrified by our adversaries. Our conduct can be worthy of the gospel of Christ.
- It is within us to be able in humility, to be like minded in looking out for the interests of others. (Philippians 2:1-4)
- God can and longs to work in you, both to will and to do for His good pleasure. That we may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked generation. (Philippians 2:13-15)
- It is God who works in us to guide and empower us…He is within our grasp!!
- Because of Jesus’ resurrection…suffering…and death, as believers we can come to know His power. And within the grasp of fellowship with Jesus in suffering are we able to die to self and sin.
- As children of God, we have a forever citizenship in heaven as we wait eagerly for our Savior. (Philippians 3:20).
- We can have a heart of rejoicing in the Lord, with a heart that doesn’t have to be anxious. We are able to make our requests known to God.
- We have access to the very peace of God.
- He will guard our hearts and minds. (Philippians 4:6-7) Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and with the peace of God.
- He will supply all our needs.
May God’s grace be with us all as we realize all that is within our grasp!!